19.5.06

Genocide and Strawberry Soft Serve

Yesterday I had a bad day....my allergies have been acting up, my boss keeps asking me to do more work for no more pay, and my water heater is dripping this gross orange liquid all over my bathroom.

So what do I do to keep my spirits up and relieve stress? Do I run along the Corniche? Do I watch MBC until my eyes fall out? Do I listen to the Scissor Sisters on repeat (I can't get enough of them)?

No. Ever since I was a kid, nothing has made me happier than food, especially sugar. So, whenever I feel down, I put on my ugliest, most comfortable clothes, and head down to Juicy Barbar in Hamra for a big Hitler. Something about that heavenly mix of pineapple wedges and strawberry purée topped with pistacio bits and a swirl of vanilla and strawberry soft serve makes me feel like I'm 23 again. But I wonder: is it morally acceptable for me to enjoy the drink named after a man who would have murdered me without hesitation?

If I had been in Germany in the 1940s, Hitler's regime would have tortured me, starved me, and performed radical surgeries on my brain. Somehow, it seems wrong to savor frosty goodness in his namesake, even though I'm sure Hitler's family is not receiving royalties from Barbar.

Does gorging myself on strawberry soft serve implicitly endorse the actions of the Nazis?
Also, when did Hitler go from topical to tropical? I don't remember reading anything about a forest of pineapple trees in the Rhineland.

I keep imagining Adolf dressed up like Carmen Miranda. It's unsettling.

9 Comments:

At Friday, May 19, 2006 10:13:00 AM, Blogger Maldoror said...

:) Indulge yourself! It might be your last meal after all :))

 
At Friday, May 19, 2006 10:30:00 AM, Blogger the perpetual refugee said...

I don't care what you call it. It sounds delicious.

 
At Friday, May 19, 2006 12:13:00 PM, Blogger Charles Malik said...

I've been feeling depressed and gorging myself, as well.

For the previous few weeks, I'd been going to the gym every time I felt down. That just stopped working, and I needed ice cream, halaweyat al jaben, pizza, cookies, fried cheese, brownies, kanafe, etc. in large quantities.

 
At Friday, May 19, 2006 3:21:00 PM, Blogger gabrielf said...

this is the funniest post I have ever read on this blog !!! exelent !!! your hiking trip posts and poems posts are so boring guys...keep on the good work filzzz

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2006 2:41:00 AM, Blogger Fouad said...

Everyone in this world deserves to be linked to something good. Evil is plentiful, but absolute evil is not. Even the devil has a soft side, you know. So no, you're not endorsing anything nazi with your mood elevating cravings, except the fact that even Hitler deserves something as meaninglessly small as a fruitful barbar creation to be remembered by :)

 
At Saturday, May 20, 2006 1:19:00 PM, Blogger Maldoror said...

As if you were asked for ur opinion Gabrielf :)
Cheers :))

 
At Friday, May 26, 2006 2:42:00 PM, Blogger أمل said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, May 26, 2006 2:46:00 PM, Blogger أمل said...

Hitler would have tortured you?

Had Hitler known a desert is gonna be named after him he would have committed suicide!

Ah, wait..

he DID commit suicide .. :S

Well, perhaps without Eva !

 
At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Al-Fil said...

Dear Amal,

Yes, Hitler would have tortured me...he didn't just target Jews, you know. He also hated gypsies, Slavs, handicapped people, Poles, Jehovah's Witnesses...and gay people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home