11.3.05

Opinionated Rampurple


I haven't had the chance to organize my thoughts and clearly post what I think of events that have occurred during the past few days. I will briefly just state what I feel about some of the events.

1. Hizbullah's demonstration on Tuesday : The scene was very familiar to Hitler giving a speech. The people I call as part of hizb il johola (the ignorant party). Don't get me wrong... I did expect a huge turn out... well, I didn't expect over a million people to show up... I respected the fact that they were going to have such an event, even though I thought they were a few weeks late. I was shocked by what the people at the demonstration had to say to the cameras. Well maybe it's not their fault... maybe the opposition hasn't made things clear. The opposition do not wish to replace the Syrian troops with foreign troops unless they find a security void, then they would like the UN to come... not foreign troops. The opposition, being an opposition does not make them Israeli allies. What the opposition want, what the people want, is that no one else's war be conducted on Lebanese soil. We don't want Israel, Syria, Palestenian, or anyone else's troops on Lebanese soil. We don't want to interfere in other countries anymore. The Palestenians and Israelis can solve their own problems...we don't have to interfere and we can protect ourselves.

I found an interesting article by Michael Young regarding Hizbullah, Must Lebanon pay for Hizbullah's pride? Here is an excerpt from the article:

Much has been said in praise of Hizbullah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah lately, and the man's qualities are undeniable. But amid the salvos of compliments (but also feelings of genuine anxiety toward Hizbullah's disproportionate power), no one has bothered to state what should be obvious: Lebanon is paying the price for the party's continued ambiguity about its own destiny. After a Syrian withdrawal, assuming one takes place, will Hizbullah primarily be a group that bends to the Lebanese consensus on continuation of the resistance? Or will it try to preserve its status as an autonomous force, under Syrian protection, that pursues resistance despite the preferences of most of its countrymen, with whatever that might entail by way of Israeli and international retaliation?
2. Syrian Troops Leaving: I am extremely happy that the Syrians have started to leave. So far, 60% of them have left. I was pleased to see people celebrating on the streets when the troops left their neighborhood. You don't understand how the Syrian troops have haunted the Lebanese. Did you know that they didn't even build a place for them to stay in? They actually lived in people's homes! They either kicked the families out and moved into the entire building, or they found houses which were excavated during the war, or whose owners are out of the country, and moved into their homes. They remained in these homes for 29 years. I am happy that these people have recovered their homes. It might take them a while till they plan on moving back in, but I am sure in a while they will forget who was in their house, and be capable of renewing their homes, and live happily ever after.


3. Omar Karami's redesignation:
I really just don't get it... I just don't!

Gebran Tueni says it better than I ever will be able to in this editorial, The Return of Karami… and the Hurt People

4 Comments:

At Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Rampurple said...

ehem ehem it's *sister*

i'm glad you agree with me

 
At Saturday, March 12, 2005 9:48:00 AM, Blogger ZouNazar said...

if my calculations are correct ,i beleive that monday will be the ever biggest demonstration in lebanon

wait and see

 
At Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:53:00 PM, Blogger liminal said...

it's extremely healthy for any people in the near-east to be demonstrating. i am happy, so happy it's happening. i can't wait to see.

 
At Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:00:00 AM, Blogger Rampurple said...

yes tempest ur right.... but again, i think this really will be the biggest demonstration yet.
It's been a month since the explosion and we still dont have any answers. People need an explanation.

Presidents Lahouds speech was weird today, so I also believe people will be responding to that, as well as responding to hizbullah.

Not by words.... hizbullah spoke about the opposition, mocked them, and insulted them..... i am glad the opposition haven't responded to his remarks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home