9.2.06

Cartoons from Denmark

The Danish cartoons... the Danish cartoons... everywhere I go, I read about them. I got these cartoons by email about 10 times so far. As I visit diverse blogs, I see the diverse points of view and in a way I find myself obliged to read about this topic over and over through the different eyes! Although I avoid political posts (except funny ones), I find myself obliged now to express my point of view regarding this issue.

To start, in Islam, the drawing of the prophets is prohibited. Hence in all mosques, you will not find drawings of prophet(s) but mainly calligraphy and decorations. Obviously the drawing of the prophets is prohibited because people would tend to idolize prophets by images where they are supposed to only believe in God.

I am pro freedom of speech and when I saw the pictures, I noticed that few are really pertinent as they depict and criticize the Muslims of today. But Islamically, it is not accepted to draw and make fun of the Prophet.

Moreover, like everything else, there is a political force behind the whole issue. To give a similar example, we can note the wave of journalism defending the human rights in China in European newspapers, then just when China joined the International Community of Commerce and everybody wants to sell his products to China and make business, everyone stopped mentioning the human rights issue in China. I admit I don't have a proof, but this scheme is recurring and it is a proof that journalism is manipulated. The manipulation of journalism cannot be justified by the concept of "freedom of speech."

Maybe what newspapers write is very true and they have the right to write it, but if it doesn't sell, it won't be published or in best scenarios, it won't make it to the first page. I am not against caricature drawings; on the contrary, I enjoy so much viewing all kinds of caricatures... And when it comes to free speech, then we mostly need it against untouchable presidents, kings, princes and monarchs in Middle East, not against the Prophet. And I cannot but believe in some kind of manipulation that made these cartoons reach the first page.

I came across many websites that are taking extreme positions. On one hand, I will not apologize to Denmark or to any other country, as I didn't do anything wrong against them, while one of their newspapers published cartoons that insulted a very important symbol in my belief. On the other hand, I still don't see the reason behind boycotting Danish products just because of one newspaper.

Finally, I want to stress the point that the riots that are leading to the burning of the Danish embassies are unjustifiable. I think that the correct form of protest should be perfectly peaceful and civilized.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:40:00 PM, Blogger francois said...

as i already wrote on ahmad blog:

well theses caricatures are making me thinking about thoses that happened to be printed by the nazi about the jews, they are wrong etc..

but making a whole story about it lead to advertise and to spread theses caricatures to the world, more and more newspapers printing them as the curiosity of their readers was exacerbated.

the best way to handle that was to be indifferent to this provocation

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger Maldoror said...

Wished to have had more Ahmads like u in Achrafieh last Sunday!

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 5:17:00 AM, Blogger Anonymous Conservative said...

One problem I have is with the hypocrisy of media outlets and demagogues who recycle the blood libel and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion getting upset at the publication of these cartoons. I believe that newspapers should be responsible in what they run, but a free press is and should remain preeminent. No matter how many reports we see of suicide bombers or other such outrages perpetrated by Muslims the average American, the average Dane, the average Brit, does not blame all Muslims or even Islam for these actions. Events like this, however, do encourage people to paint Muslims with a broad brush. Again, most Westerners would be repulsed by such cartoons and they only stand behind them because rioters are insisting upon censorship and punishment.

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger lifeflaw said...

end racism: let me tell you something... In my work, I do my job 100 times right, I don't hear a single thank you. If I screw up one time, I will be considered as incompetent and I will be blamed for it. Everyone is expected to do his job right, failing is not justifiable. Last Sunday, the organizers failed to control the crowd, and this is not accepted. Yesterday, things went organized and civilized, and this is the way to be; we should not accept anything less. Don't you agree?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home