1.10.06

A house of many Mansions, book review


With all the recent events, I went back to my library to refresh my knowledge of Lebanon’s history. And believe me no book retells the historical background and explains why our country have been plagued by endless wars and conflict, better than Kamal Salibi’s "A House of many Mansions"

It is a very interesting and easy to read book, full of interesting insights and handles thorny issue with tact. Its title alone, “A House of many Mansions” explains the whole Lebanese quandary. All in all, the book is very informative and objective.

It starts with Lebanon hostory from WWI, when the Ottoman empire was crumbling, and recounts how Lebanon was created, and its early relation with its surrounding and the western world.The most interesting parts ofthis book, is the explanations of Lebanon’s problems.

For example, the Author finds that one of Lebanon’s main problems is that the Lebanese have not yet agreed on which country they want: An Arab Lebanon or a fully Westernized Lebanon. I recommend this book for all who are interested in Lebanon has been picked by the recent events and want to understand the historical background of the country.

The link for the book's page on Amazon is on the right side of my Blog

3 Comments:

At Monday, October 02, 2006 11:28:00 AM, Blogger AbdulKarim said...

A good book on the same subject which i found very informative and easy to read is "Lebanon The Fragmented Country" by David Gilmour. Yu might want to check that out Bob.

 
At Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:16:00 PM, Blogger Fadi said...

I actually did a book review - MA paper on A house of many Mansions during the Cedar Revolution. I was and am still proud of the Lebanese People. I will post the paper on my blog

http://stingerfly.blogspot.com/2006/10/book-reviewed-house-of-many-mansions.html#links

hope you find it useful.

fadi

 
At Wednesday, October 04, 2006 7:41:00 PM, Blogger BOB said...

Thx fadi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home