12.9.06

A courageous soul

It is heart warming to find that in the middle of this desert of one opinion, one religion and one ideology, some people still have the courage and the moral standing to critique the current powers that be and express their feelings and opinions with such frankness, clarity and logic.

Professor Mouna Fayada, wrote two very interesting and expressive articles, in Annahar one of Lebanon most prominent newspapers, exploring the current feelings and state of mind of the Shiite sect in Lebanon -refuting the common myth of the total support that Hezbollah enjoys in its sect- and criticizing and dissecting many of Hezbollah’s current propaganda and claims.

I believe that Mouna Fayad showed courage beyond measure in publishing these two articles, in a time when ordinary people are being lambasted, personally attacked and even branded as traitors for just stating or proposing an alternative opinion or point of view.

The two articles are in Arabic and can be accessed on my
Blog, here and here. The first one is entitled “to be a Shiite now!” and the second one is a response to all the comments about the first one.


Peace

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 6:20:00 PM, Blogger J. said...

It is official. Bob has a Hezbollah fetish.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:25:00 PM, Blogger Jamal said...

I wanna be courageous too.

Hezbollah sucks balls, Yeah!!

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:53:00 PM, Blogger Lazarus said...

bob,

did you find her article constructive?

- l.

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:54:00 PM, Blogger BOB said...

good for you jamal!

but try what you said in al nahar... then i ll call you courageous. However saying “Hezbollah sucks balls” is hardly worthy of mention, try constructive criticism and refute some oft repeated claims then maybe… till that time you are just "a dude" writing a blog.

peace

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:59:00 PM, Blogger BOB said...

Lazarus

If her articles are not constructive (especially the second one) then pray tell what is? and be more specific! what irked you in those articles...

Peace

 
At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 9:03:00 PM, Blogger Hilal CHOUMAN said...

ok.
let's be "constructive" and write a series of articles called:
"Being a Sunni"
Being a Maronite"
"Being a Durzee"
.......

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:09:00 AM, Blogger arch.memory said...

Bob,
I agree with you, it is very courageous of her, and as someone from a Shiite background, I found it very refreshing. I first read her article "أن تكون شيعياً الآن" on Fadi's blog, where he provided her e-mail address as well. So I wrote to her, telling her what I said above, and asking where she had the article published, and what the response was. I didn't hear back from her (I can imagine she's flooded with feedback right now), but your post answered my questions; thanks for that. I look forward to reading her follow-up.

On another note, I sent her article to members of my family, and the only response I got was a 12-page reply (!) from my uncle that I'm still reading through... I'll keep you posted! ;)

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:19:00 PM, Blogger Emil , Jerusalem said...

Hi ,Bob & everybody

I’ve read the first article of Mona Fayad and would be interested in reading the second one ( in English , if possible ).

I’m deeply convinced , that somebody is truly worried about his country , its fortune and interests ( and not the interests of PLO , Baath , Ayatollas ) , welfare of its people , education of its community – there is always a place to overcome disagreements, hate , etc. Also it should be possible to conclude , if not a peace – at least the long ceasefire and understandings that will help our countries flourish.

It may be interesting , that the first article of Mrs. Fayad was translated to Hebrew and published in some newspapers & sites .

Wishing all the best ,

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 3:20:00 PM, Blogger BOB said...

Arch

keep us posted if she answers...
and do share that 12 page letter ;)

emil

I agree with you.

did you read the first article in english or hebrew. If it was in english i would be gratfull if you could provide me with the link.
thx a lot

peace

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:33:00 PM, Blogger Emil , Jerusalem said...

To Bob :

I read the article in hebrew first , but at MEMRI there is also an english version

http://memri.org/bin/articles.cgi?Page=archives&Area=sd&ID=SP125806

Best regards ,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home