26.4.05

Call for discussion: Us & Them

So, now that they're gone, where go we go from here? In trying to reflect on the past several pivotal weeks in our history, several issues come to mind. One thing that concerns me is that fissure in Lebanese society that came to the surface after the assassination of Hariri and was perhaps at its climax during the tense days of "counter-demonstrations": namely, the Lebanese Shiites vs. the rest of the Lebanese. Before you jump down my throat, I am a Lebanese Shiite, or as I prefer to put it, I come from a Shiite family, since sect is one of those things that are dictated on us, the Lebanese, upon birth, regardless of faith. In any case, my interest in putting up this call for a discussion came after a comment my brother left to a post on my blog. The post was about an article in Slate magazine online by Elisabeth Eaves entitled "Camping in Beirut—A Revolutionary Act". Here is the comment; I thought it would be a good way to spur discussion:

When I read this article, I felt, well, sad.

I do not know why I am writing this, it does not relate much to the article, but I need to express it somewhere, this feeling that I have of perpetual guilt.

I am a Chiite Lebanese and I support the cause of the camp/revolution that is going on, and I did not take part in them. I was not willing to sacrifice my semester for something I knew was good for my country.

It might not be about sectarianism, and it might bring nothing out (though it has), but, if for anything, it was (and still is) about citizen contribution to the democratic process. That is all.

At times, when I discuss politics and ethics, I realize that I am not practicing what I say.

I once did a project about corruption in Lebanon. One of the steps that I claimed would function against corruption was taking part in protests, gatherings, strikes, and sit-ins. They make politicians aware of the fact that we are watching, I said. What am I?

Someone answer me.

I appreciated that comment--not only because it's my brother's--but especially because it brings to the front another issue, that of civic responsibility, and gives voice to those of us who didn't, or simply couldn't, be part of the making of this history. Perhaps many of us have become jaded in our part of the world about our power as a people, but I am sure more than a few people expressed cynicism at what was happening and its outcome. And perhaps this cynicism prevails still. Perhaps it is well-founded and perhaps it has been proven wrong. Whatever it is, it is a new set of givens that we grapple with at this point. It is perhaps not a very focused question that I am asking here, more of an attempt to incite reaction to these issues and this new order.

And in the end, congratulations to all of us, at home and abroad!

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:28:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Hey Arch memory,
A lot of Lebanese people, whether Chiite or not, did not take part in the protests going on. Mostly because of this feeling: whatever we did, and no matter how much we cried out, nothing will ever change! So, it's not about being chiite and abstenting from participating. Anyway, being Chiite does not automatically means you're affiliated to Amal or Hezbollah.

 
At Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:42:00 PM, Blogger arch.memory said...

That is obviously true, Eve (or I should hope that it is obvious that "being Chiite does not automatically means you're affiliated to Amal or Hezbollah"). However, it is that feeling that "whatever we did, and no matter how much we cried out, nothing will ever change" that I think has been challanged now. Or has it (as the caricature below seems to suggest)?

 
At Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:13:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品,視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,ut聊天室,聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人電影,

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色,色情,情色電影,色情網站,av女優,av,自拍,成人,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,AV女優,成人,聊天室,ut聊天室,av女優

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,av dvd,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,情色文學,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,成人論壇,色情

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網

 

Post a Comment

<< Home