18.3.05

Calm before the storm?

It's astonishing what a million-man-protest can do to a political scene!

The rhetoric has died down all of a sudden, so have the personal attacks.
Pro-government protest have been cancelled.
Daily life is (dare I say it?) taking back some of its old routine.

Something tells me this is just the calm before the storm.
A transient lull before a major battle?

All of this... started on Feb 14th.
I look back at my last posts and I'm astonished! On Feb 13th, I was ranting about how horror movies were so implausible, how death no longer scares us.
How did it all get so political, so quickly?!
Ah yes... I remember. A massive explosion.
Death became real again.

The more events escalate the easier it is to forget how it all started.
The blue "Ribbons For Truth" started as a modest sign of solidarity, and now they're an emblem of defiance.
Spontaneous candle vigils are now publicized declarations of protest.
TV channels which were unanimously carrying images of grief, are now blaring towers of propaganda.
People don't watch movies anymore, they watch televised debates.
We eat, live and breathe politics.

We've come a long way. A lot of grief and tears, a lot of strength and glory.
But... in a way, I miss Feb 13.
I miss the dull, unbelievable, predictable, stupid, silly horror movies...

3 Comments:

At Friday, March 18, 2005 12:32:00 AM, Blogger Rampurple said...

I think most of us have missed february 13th. We have all gotten obsessed with politics since the 14th. I no longer recognize my blog... it has become a political blog. I cant switch the tv on and not watch a political show, and if there are no political programs, i end up watching zein to see the latest stuff at the square.

i have just forced myself not to switch the tv on, to attempt having a conversation that would not lead to politics, to concentrate at work and my studies... i hope i can go back to february 13th soon

BUT i worry everyone will return to that date and february 14th will become just another day we remember once a year, such as september 14th. I hope we dont reach there and that there would be a positive outcome from all the efforts the population has put within the past month... and as a result of the populations sufferings for over 30 years.

 
At Friday, March 18, 2005 2:08:00 AM, Blogger liminal said...

Ramzi,

I think you're exactly right. I hate to be such a pessimist again. I can't help it. Whenever I'm far from a situation, I tend to tilt toward cynicism. I hope we're both wrong.

It's really difficult to try not to make predictions, though. And it sure does seem a bit too calm at the moment.

Anyway...lets hope for the best.

L.

 
At Friday, March 18, 2005 5:45:00 AM, Blogger Firas Wehbe said...

It seems February 14th may be the founding myth of the 21st century Lebanon. Before we get carried away, a myth is just a myth. However, I do feel something positive is happening. Just look at the different types of people in this picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home