6.6.05

You call this an election!

With the unfolding of events, and the advent of the electoral law and alliances, I became very demoralized, which might explain the delays between my posts.

What made matter worse, was the assassination of the brilliant intellectual and the staunch Anti-Syrian journalist Samir Qassir.

For, after the big protests of 14 March, I, and many others thought that our political situation will undergo a major overhaul, and Lebanon will start its long climb towards democracy. I was wrong.

Because, our “esteemed” politicians – and here I stress ALL, politicians – had others plans in mind.

They decided to sell us short, for a few seats in the parliament.
More

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 07, 2005 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Ramzi said...

While the politicians certainly did not live up to our expectations (at least not completely or uniformly) I don't see why this should render March 14th a failure or a farce. I did not go to the protest on March 14 because these politicians asked me to do so. Nor did I go becuase my political party decided to join (I don't belong to any). I went there because I wanted to show that that I demand a free, democratic Lebanon. And while perhaps this was not everyone's sentiment, I am sure I was not the only one.

So the politicians today have disappointed us. Don't they all? Always? Everywhere?
So the Lebanon I demanded is not yet realized. Isn't every grand dream a gradual process?

No democracy is born overnight. It takes time, effort, and - this is the hardest to sustain - patient determination.

Baby steps BOB. Baby steps...

 
At Monday, June 13, 2005 2:55:00 PM, Blogger BOB said...

Marsden,

Maybe I am a idealist, or a fool, but I believe that the Lebanese have learned their lessons, and they will never again resort to violence ...

Nevertheless, the Baatheist regime has always resorted to violence, and until it topples, it will keep on using violence to silence whoever opposes it.

So until proven wrong for me Syria and its cronies are the foremost suspects in both killings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home