25.5.05

What did you do on May 25, 2000?

On the 25th of May 2000, a friend and I clamoured to an empty Hamra apartment that was devoid of all furniture except for a small 14" TV. We'd heard the news and didn't want to miss a thing! It didn't matter which local station the dinky antenna picked up, they were all transmitting the same picture... the South was free!

Later that night, we all went out to celebrate. I still have an empty wine bottle covered in melted candle wax, with that day's date and all our one-liners.

I don't know why there weren't any mass marches that day. Maybe because we didn't believe they'd actually left? Or did it all happen to suddenly? Is it because we didn't feel we had a role in the 'when' or 'how', only the 'why'? (Feel free to comment).

Regardless. I know I was happy that day. And I just wanted to post some pictures to bring back memories...


What was...


... then was no longer!


The Cowards


The Brave


Our Hero... (No? Read yesterday's post)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Eve said...

I remember I had my exams back then. I don't remember who told me, but in any case I thought he was joking. In less than a week later, we were standing before Fatima Gate, Khiyam Prison and Beaufort Castle, and things seemed to make more sense.

 
At Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:18:00 PM, Blogger SH said...

Hi, it's true we all were happy that day, but like all Lebanese victories we are only happy for a day. Because afterwards our "prestigious political elite" turned the victory for their own interest and bored us with their endless speeches and comments. And then nothing happened. The victory became another simple national holiday, and I expect the same thing will happen with our second victory, the day of the Syrian army withdrawal. For it is already part of everyone’s electoral campaign and then it also become another national holiday.

PS: I have a Lebanese blog, it’s http://sechenspot.blogpost.com, could you add me to your list. Thanks anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home