21.5.05

Political Correspondence

Here is a message from our "dear" Speaker to candidate Gibran Tueni, published today in Annahar:
"Dear director general of Annahar Newspaper and future colleague, Mr. Gibran Tueni,
I read about your intention of suspending writing your weekly column in Annahar until the end of the election.
If only you ran for election everyday!
Nabih Berri"

Tueni's reply to Berri:
"Dear President of the Parliament, Mr. Nabih Berri,
I have carefully read your message, and I hereby thank you for your "concern" for Annahar Newspaper. In case I'm elected deputy of Beirut, I'm seriously thinking of turning my weekly column into a daily interjection in the House, through which I intend to defend the same convictions and ideas I have always defended in my editorials. However, if you were expressing by "future colleague" your wish to shift from politics to journalism, then your articles are most welcomed in Annahar.
Best regards,
Gibran Tueni"

How lucky we are for having such a humorous and ever-lasting President of Parliament!!! However, I should give Berri the credit for proving my point: Why would a journalist even consider lowering himself to the position of a politician? I mean, having such a powerful weapon as his pen, why would he choose to abdicate it, and aspire after a political position that is, definitely, going to take the best of him? Let him speak, let him write, let him fake honesty and objectivity; a man (or woman) torn between these two opposite identities will always be a politician for me.
Why do I feel that strange? This will be my first time to vote, but I'm not excited at all. Oh and how many candidates are running uncontested so far? I don't know... I lost count. It is that feeling that no matter what I'll do, no matter how many people will vote, there will be a tomorrow, and in that "tomorrow" Berri is and will always be President of the Parliament!

2 Comments:

At Friday, May 20, 2005 11:36:00 PM, Blogger Delirious said...

Akh ya Eve... Why do you even bother and ask such questions? Stop wasting oxygen uselessly, and just go cast your vote... always keeping in mind that nothing lasts forever, and that "tomorrow" is another day! :)

 
At Sunday, May 22, 2005 2:19:00 AM, Blogger Charles Malik said...

Berri will not definitely hang on to his seat.
Bassem Sabaa is next in line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home