8.5.05

The Return of the Native?

I've been reading about Aoun's return, and I was hoping that someone else (perhaps in Lebanon?) would post something up about it here. But since nobody has so far, I scoured the list of links on the right, and came up with a list of blogs that have posted something about the topic:

The Beirut Spring: The Orange Revolution
Lebanese Political Journal: Is Michel Aoun our only hope?
Manamania: Surreal. Totally.
About Lebanon: Aoun has returned... Parliament fights!
Ramzi's Blah Blah: Asteroid Aoun15FPM-070505
Think Of That: The General's Return
TRUE LEBANESE: attempt on Aoun's life.....
A window in Lebanon : le retour

Now, I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of Aoun. I grew up in a family that believed that, as BBC News put it today, he "put the country through some of the worst bloodletting since the start of the civil war in 1975". But now, in light of what's happening, I'm re-examining my handed-down attitudes. I'm kind of respecting that stance he took against the Syrians. But more importantly, I am definitely all for his call for an end to sectarianism in Lebanon. The New York Times put it in perspective:
"Others are seeking to eliminate outright sectarianism or confessionalism, as it is called here, while maintaining some form of proportional representation. General Aoun's proposal is to make Lebanon a secular state altogether, a profoundly challenging proposal."

I'd love to hear people's opinions about his return, and especially about his call to end sectarianism. What do you think, especially in context of what's been happening in Iraq, where the Lebanese sectarian system has been often quoted as a model?

4 Comments:

At Sunday, May 08, 2005 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Mustapha said...

i have taken pictures, see them on beirutspring.blogspot.com

 
At Monday, May 09, 2005 1:59:00 AM, Blogger Charles Malik said...

Marsden,
I realize because of your issues with your mother that you have a lot of problems with the Christians.
But why do you hold back from attacking smiling Nabih and uncle Walid? Berri killed more Palestinians probably than the Israelis. And he did it on Syria's orders.
Jumblatt caused a massive exodus of over 150,000 innocent people and massacred villages. Don't believe me? Ask anyone from Damour who wasn't killed.

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005 1:33:00 AM, Blogger Charles Malik said...

You just never mention them.

 
At Tuesday, May 10, 2005 7:33:00 PM, Blogger Ramzi said...

lebanon.profile
Marsden hates everyone, anyone can see that now. How dare you question his loathing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home